Federal, State and Local Fair Housing Laws protect individuals from housing discrimination. It is unlawful to discriminate based on certain protected characteristics, which include, but are not limited to: race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military status, sex, age, disability, marital status, lawful source of income or familial status.
THE FOLLOWING ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF POTENTIAL FAIR HOUSING VIOLATIONS:
- Refusing to rent, sell or show a property based on a potential tenant or purchaser’s protected characteristic.
- Quoting a higher price to a purchaser or renter because of the potential purchaser or tenant’s protected characteristic.
- Refusing to rent to a tenant who has children or increasing a security deposit based on the number of children who will be living in the apartment.
- Steering prospective tenants or purchasers to certain neighborhoods based on any protected characteristics.
- Refusing to rent to a potential tenant because of their source of income, including but not limited to, Section 8 vouchers or other government subsidies.
- Refusing to waive a “no pet” policy for tenants that require a service, assistance or emotional support animal.
- Discriminating at the direction of a seller or landlord or because it is the preference of a seller or landlord.
- Refusing to rent to a renter who is a victim of domestic violence.
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO FILE A COMPLAINT
- New York State, Department of State: (518) 474-4429
- New York State, Division of Human Rights: (844) 862-8703
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Avenue
P.O. Box 22001
Albany, NY 12201-2001
Customer Service: (518) 474-4429
BINGHAMTON • BUFFALO • HAUPPAUGE • NEW YORK CITY • UTICA
Other news: LAW & FINANCE
Ogłoszenia Dodaj ogłoszenie
Outdoor Legal Dinner Seminar Event at the Royal Warsaw Wed: July 15, 2020 Royal Warsaw RSVP by: 07-10-2020 Limited Seating Nieruchomość - USA
Dom na sprzedaż Maspeth NY Okazja na znakomitą inwestycję! Duży, czterorodzinny dom na sprzedaż Praca - Dam
Health Care Aide Wanted in NJ Looking for a health care aide in Franklin Lakes, NJ who has experience Lokal - Wynajmę
FOR RENT 1 bedroom, Westchester NY FOR RENT: 1 bedroom with living room with 2 full bathroom na $1,750. Ard