What to know about lip flips?
August 09, 2023 Dariusz J. Nasiek, MD - Medycyna Estetyczna / Aesthetic Medicine
A lip flip is a relatively new cosmetic procedure that reportedly gives a person fuller lips with one quick and straightforward treatment. People also refer to it as a lip injection. A lip flip involves injecting the neurotoxin Botox into the upper lip.
What is a lip flip?
A lip flip is a nonsurgical method of creating a fuller lip. A doctor injects botulinum toxin A, popularly known as Botox, into the upper lip to create an illusion of a larger lip. It relaxes the muscles above the lip, making the upper lip “flipping” slightly upward. Although the procedure makes the lip look more prominent, it does not increase the size of the lip itself.
Lip flips may be particularly beneficial for individuals who have smiles that expose much of their gums. Following a lip flip, less gum shows when the individual smiles because the upper lip elevates less.
How does it work?
A lip flip involves injecting a small amount of Botox into the upper lip. The goal is to relax the muscle around the mouth, which helps form and shape the lips. The injection encourages the top lip to relax and “flip” outwards, giving the subtle illusion of a fuller lip.
The lip flip is a quick procedure. Because of this, it can be a suitable option for those wary about more invasive surgeries.
Lip flip vs. dermal fillers
Dermal fillers are gels usually based on the hyaluronic acid that cosmetic doctors inject into the skin to restore volume, smooth lines, and wrinkles or enhance facial contours. They are second only to botulinum toxin injections as the most common nonsurgical cosmetic procedures.
One popular type of dermal filler is Restylane, based on hyaluronic acid, which exists naturally in the body. Hyaluronic acid can help restore volume and moisture in the skin. When doctors inject it directly into the lips, it creates definition and boosts lip volume, resulting in a fuller lips.
While dermal fillers increase lip size, a “lip flip” only creates the illusion of a larger lip without adding volume.
Lip flips are less invasive and less expensive than dermal fillers. However, they have a shorter effect than dermal fillers, which last between 6 and 18 months.
Another difference is that it takes up to one week to see lip flip results, while dermal fillers show immediate results.
Recovery and results
Patients should avoid sleeping facedown for the night after a lip flip procedure. It is normal to have a small bump at the injection site for a few hours following treatment. Bruising may also occur.
Results appear over a few days. During this time, the orbicularis oris muscle relaxes, which allows the upper lip to lift and “flip.” People should see the full results about a week after treatment.
A lip flip lasts for about 3 months. It only lasts for a short duration because the upper lip muscle often moves, causing its effects to wear off. This short period might be due to the small dose involved.
Things to consider:
When choosing whether to have a lip flip procedure, there are several factors to consider.
The alternatives to lip flips, including dermal fillers and lip lifts, should be considered. It is vital to explore other procedures to ensure the method offers the desired results.
An individual should also consider any emotional effects of the procedure. Their appearance may alter, and they need to adjust to their new look in the mirror — people should prepare for the feelings this may cause. Some may also need to consider reactions from friends and family.
Finally, people must consider potential side effects or complications. While rare, they are still possible.
- Cosmetic procedures involving Botox are typically safe
- One common side effect is that the muscle may over-relax. This may lead to the muscle being too weak to pucker the lips or allow for drinking through a straw.
- People may also have trouble keeping fluids in their mouths and speaking or whistling. However, these are often short-term effects.
- The injection of Botox may cause some injection-site reactions, including bruising, pain, redness, swelling, or infection.
- Additionally, if the doctor does not administer the injections correctly, a person’s smile could appear crooked.
Finding a qualified doctor:
- When meeting with the doctor, individuals should verify their experience with the lip flip procedure. Ask how many procedures they have completed and look at before and after pictures of their work for verification.
- Lastly, people should research the facility where they have the procedure to ensure it meets the required accreditations for that state.
- A lip flip is a cosmetic procedure where a doctor injects Botox into the muscle immediately above the top lip. Botox relaxes the muscle, which causes the lip to flip up, giving the appearance of a fuller lip.
- A lip flip is different from dermal fillers: they provide the illusion of fuller lips, while dermal fillers truly make the lip larger.
Individuals see results within a week of the treatment. While there are some possible side effects of the procedure and Botox, these are rare.
SPONSORED ARTICLEFor the most up-to-date information, please contact the company directly.
The photos contained in the article serve only as an illustration of the article.
Other articles: HEALTH, BEAUTY, LEISURE
Ogłoszenia Dodaj ogłoszenie
Mechanik ( trucks, sprzet ciezki, forklifts) Dobrze prosperujaca firma recyklingowa w Rahway NJ, pilnie potrzebuje ma Praca - Dam
Job for a Dental Assistant I'm looking to hire a dental assistant four days a week, 34 hours, in a Praca - Dam
Praca dla Asystentki Dentystycznej Zatrudnię asystentkę dentystyczną na 4 dni w tygodniu, 34 godziny, w Auto - Sprzedam
2023 Ford Raptor 2023 Ford Raptor supercrew 3.5L Ecoboost High output Engine Black Exteri Auto - Sprzedam
Brand NEW 2023 F-250 Super Duty XLT Come check out our brand new 2023 F-250 Super Duty XLT Supercab 164'' WB Auto - Sprzedam
Brand New 2023 Ford Maverick XLT AWD Good news! Come check out our brand new 2023 Ford Maverick XLT AWD with